Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Dinosaurs of Waterhouse Hawkins - Caldecott Honor Book



Kerley, B. (2001). The dinosaurs of Waterhouse Hawkins. New York: Scholastic.

This book is brought to life by the magnificent illustrations of Brian Selznick. I love that this book is based on the true story of Waterhouse Hawkins. I find that books based on true stories are always some of the most interesting. One thing that I particularly liked about this book is that Waterhouse did not give up. He continued on with his passion even after devastating losses.

Although I enjoyed this book, it is not one of my favorites. I do like animals but I do not know a lot about dinosaurs and am not particularly interested in them. I do think, however, that this book would appeal especially to young male readers. A lot of young boys (and girls) love dinosaurs and would enjoy the illustrations as well as the story of Waterhouse Hawkins. I am a fifth grade teacher and a segment of this story is included in our reading series. I enjoyed reading the entire story for the first time and plan to read the full version with my class this year rather than the abridged version in our reading series.

No comments: