Thursday, July 3, 2008

Because of Winn-Dixie - Book & Feature Film



DiCamillo, K. (2000). Because of Winn-Dixie. New York: Scholastic, Inc.

Who couldn't love Because of Winn-Dixie? It is a inspiring and somewhat bittersweet story of a girl who finds more companionship with a mutt she found at the Winn-Dixie store than she's ever been able to find with her family. One of the things that I enjoyed most about this book is all of the intriguing characters that Opal and Winn-Dixie meet as they explore the town. The story appeals to boys and girls of all ages so it's easy to see why this book was made into a feature film.

Because of Winn-Dixie, the movie, was released in 2005. It has quickly become a family classic. Although the movie strays somewhat from the book, it is still excellent. The cast does a great job of bringing to life the characters from the book. When reading a book, I always form mental images of the characters in my mind. Often, when movies are made based on books that I have read, I find that the characters in the movie don't exactly match with the mental images that I've created. However, in Because of Winn-Dixie, I was happy to find that the most of the characters in the movie matched what I had in mind and what was protrayed in the book.

No comments: